Adam Park heritage walk on 8 Feb 2014

By SPI Yasser Mattar and SPI Kweh Ting Ting

Adam Park was the site of heavy fighting between defending British and invading Japanese forces in February 1942. Several paranormal experiences have been recorded there. This short write up serves to provide brief notes on the layout, history and paranormal reports of Adam Park.

Layout of Adam Park

Adam Park is located near to Adam Road hawker centre along Adam Road. The houses there were built c 1929. An aerial view of the area shows us that the area is laid out on a hill in an almost spiral formation. That formation made it a geographically advantageous fortress from which the British forces could defend against the invading Japanese forces.

Source: Google Maps

History of Adam Park

There were two notable buildings of interest in Adam Park. Number 17 Adam Park was formerly used as a hospital. It was once burnt down during a ceasefire between British and Japanese combatants.

Source: Yasser Mattar

Another building was formerly used as a chapel for the Prisoners of War, but the specific location of that building is unclear. This chapel looks very similar to the chapel at the Changi POW camp, through the sketches of a POW at that time. The picture below is of the Changi chapel.


Paranormal Reports

At least one group of tenants within the past 5 years at Number 17 reported hearing parties, including laughter and glasses clinking on their premises in the middle of the night. These coincided with accounts of the merriment that occurred in the hospital, where parties were frequently held, with whiskey being supplied by the officers’ mess from across Adam Road.

The current tenant at Number 10 reported that when she moved in to the house 3 years ago, she had engaged the help of a fengshui master to put the chi of her house in order. The fengshui master suggested that she should allocate the room at the far end of the 2nd level of the house as her child’s room, as that was the room that has been thoroughly “blessed”. This suggests that Number 10 might have been used as to house the chapel, and that very room described was indeed the old chapel in question.

More information can be found here: